Edible gardens are beautiful and also an enjoyable and economical form of gardening. By growing your own vegetables and herbs, you’ll save money while encouraging your family to eat healthier. Regardless of where you live and your yard size, you can include a raised vegetable bed for minimal cost and effort. Convenient, simple to understand and ready-to-assemble kits from True Value make it easy. Material from UNR Cooperative Extension can help you along the way to Water Less, Grow More, thus creating an opportunity to learn about healthy Living and Growing in our arid landscape.
Provide economic opportunity to individuals/groups so they can increase the effectiveness of their water and land resources. It is also the goal to create a more healthy, vibrant economic atmosphere and increased market activity which benefits the entire community and increases social capitol.
1) Provide access to capital through a micro-loan program
2) Provide enterprise opportunities for sale/barter of the product resulting from efficient growing techniques.
3.) Provide partnering between the plant/material supplier, the educational materials at UNR Extension Service, other educators and experienced Local growers.
During the 2nd quarter 2010, EFF started a new micro-credit loan program available within the combined communities of Moapa and Moapa Valley. The program is under the direct supervision of The Educational Farm Foundation of Moapa Valley (EFF). Clients can receive loans of $100.00 or $250 each to create or expand their growing ideas. The target of the Water Less, Grow More program in 5 years is to have the program grow to around 100 clients and $10,000 worth of loanable capital.
What is Microcredit?
Microcredit is the extension of very small loans to people. The typical size of a loan to one of Water Less, Grow More clients is $250.00. Our targeted clients will show entrepreneurial spirit and all applications will be considered regardless of age, sex, race, financial or employment status and/or traditional credit score methods.
The key purposes of The Water Less, Grow More micro-credit program are to:
1. Encourage entrepreneurship, financial responsibility, resource appreciation and management
2. Increase personal income by cutting water usage and grocery expenses by supplementing good, fresh and healthy food source for our clients
3. Promote healthy and responsible living and growing in our arid lands
4. Promote partnering with the community that will ultimately bring about a local farmers market or bartering of goods.
Take this opportunity to get your garden ready with financial and educational help from The Educational Farm Foundation of Moapa Valley.